I know Christmas hasn’t even arrived yet, but can you believe that it is soon going to be 2024? There is no reason to wait until after Christmas to start thinking about the new year; let’s start NOW. The start of a new year is one of my favorite times to reflect and set myself up for success in the coming year. Whether it’s decluttering the house, starting a new routine, or simply listing out what you’re grateful for, it can be hard to know where to even start.
If you’re like me, you might be wondering, “How can I make this new year count?” I’ve gathered some tricks to help us all start the upcoming year on the right foot. No grand resolutions or complex strategies here—just a bunch of friendly nudges and habits to set the tone for the next 365 days. While some of them may seem obvious, I figured I would share my tips on how to start the new year right and some of my favorite products that help with that!
Easy Things You Can Do to Start the New Year
1. Review the previous year.
I love the idea of all things new and a fresh start, but the first priority is to take a look back on the previous year. Ask yourself what you did well, what you wish you had more time for, how you improved your relationships, etc. Take a moment to glance in the rearview mirror. Celebrate your victories, learn from the curveballs, and then give yourself permission to move on. No dwelling allowed! While you’re doing this, I would suggest making a gratitude list. List all the things you’re thankful for from the previous year (both good and bad). This will then help you figure out your areas of improvement and what you want to do again.
2. Organize your calendar.
No matter if you’re a digital calendar fan or prefer to write things down on a paper one, I always feel better when I sit down to put everything on it. Set aside 30 minutes to an hour each week to do so. If you plan out your meals each week, this task could also be combined with that! You’ll instantly feel better going into the week ahead knowing what you have going on.
If you do a family calendar or need to start one to remind your husband of things, I’d suggest using Google Calendar. It’s free and super easy to use! Here’s how to share your calendar! I use the Google Calendar, and it is what keeps me on track with my blog, bills, appointments, trips, etc., but my DIL swears by a paper calendar. The Clever Fox Planner Pro is one of the best ones I’ve seen, so if you like a pen-and-paper calendar, try this one out.
Other things to add to your calendar at the start of each new year:
- Appointments: These days, it can take months to get to see a doctor. Go ahead and make sure you have them on your calendar or set reminders to make the appointments so they don’t fall by the wayside.
- Birthdays: Make sure you have everyone in there and set reminders!
- Holiday Addresses: If you received any holiday cards this year, take note of the address and write the information down in a spot you’ll remember, like a spreadsheet. Then, when it comes time to send them next year, all you have to do is verify they are still correct.
- Reminders from the previous year: Take note of any big events that took place in 2023 that you will be attending in 2024. This way, you aren’t surprised when they pop up again!
3. Move your body.
I know that this is one of those very obvious ones. But I think it should be said! Start small by saying you’re going to walk for 30 min for 3 days this week. Schedule it into your calendar if you need to. That’s what I did last year! I’m also going to start my eating plan back up since I’ve gotten off track recently. I don’t know about you gurls, but holiday gatherings are always good for throwing me off of my healthy eating! If you’re looking for more ideas on how to get active in 2024, here is a post I wrote on Losing Weight When You’re Over 50.
In my opinion, there’s nothing better to motivate me to exercise than cute new workout clothing and accessories. This is also an excellent opportunity to assess what you have in your wardrobe and what you need to pick up. Here are some of my favorite things to have on hand and a few things I’m ordering:
- Workout Leggings: I linked some of my favorite black leggings in this post about comfy black leggings.
- Sports Bra: I’ve linked some of the best ones below, depending upon your different needs.
- Walking/Tennis Shoes: You can grab more ideas in this post.
- AirPods or Headphones
- Water Bottle: I love that this one helps you stay on track with how much water you should be drinking each hour. This one has an app to use on your phone to sync up and keep track. If you prefer a cup with a straw, this one is great!
- You can see more of my favorites in these posts: The Best Workout Clothes For Women Over 50 and Affordable Designer Inspired Activewear Clothing.
4. Clean out your email inbox.
Use this time to unsubscribe from all of those stores that you were trying to get a discount from once upon a time or all of those random times you signed up for something. This is a great article to help get you started! There’s also a free phone app called Unroll Me that I’ve heard great things about that helps you quickly unsubscribe from unwanted newsletters and sales emails.
5. Prioritize your faith (even when you’re busy!)
It’s easier said than done sometimes. But, one of my favorite ways to make sure I’m prioritizing my faith is by having a devotional and starting my mornings with scripture. I find that when I’m at my busiest, that’s when I need to make the time to put a little bit of quiet time with Jesus first. I’m sharing a few of my favorite faith resources below for you as well to start the new year off right!
- Prayer Journal
- 52-Week Gratitude Journal
- The Well Watered Woman: Rooted in Truth, Growing in Grace, Flourishing in Faith
- The Women of the Bible Speak: The Wisdom of 16 Women and Their Lessons for Today
- A Year of Positive Thinking
More Tips on How to Start The New Year Right
- Invest in yourself: That could be getting a monthly massage, reading more, getting your nails done, updating your wardrobe, etc. It looks a little bit different for each of us! But, schedule in time once a month to treat yourself.
- Speaking of investing in yourself, don’t forget to indulge in some self-care from time to time like taking a relaxing bath once a week, giving yourself an at home pedicure, or investing in some new skincare products.
- Make sure you are getting 8 hours of sleep and that your bed is meeting your needs. Maybe you need a new mattress topper or something as simple as new pillows like these, which have excellent reviews. Since sleep is something that is often overlooked and really impacts your day-to-day life, it is essential to work toward getting a good night’s sleep.
- Clean out your closet & your house: There are quite a few tasks we tend to put off, and cleaning is one of them. Now’s your chance to declutter all areas of your life. That doesn’t mean you have to go full organization mode and put everything in clear containers. But do what works best for you! Know that this may take several days, and it always looks worse before it gets better!
- Try something new! Start a hobby like painting or gardening, join a new gym or workout class, take up Pickleball, or whatever sounds like fun to you!
What do you do to start the new year off right? Do you set resolutions for the new year?
Whenever you SHARE my posts on PINTEREST, INSTAGRAM, YOUTUBE, AND FACEBOOK, it helps other ladies who might be style challenged to find my blog. I appreciate every one of you, and I consider you a friend.
Are You One Of The GURLS?
You will get a daily email reminder from me alerting you when a new blog post has gone live. And, occasionally, a “special” email will hit your inbox, so watch for those!
To GOD Goes The Glory!
Verse Of The Day
2 Corinthians 3:17
17 Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.
50 Is Not Old partners with affiliate platforms where commission may be earned based on clicks and or purchases, and I would love it if you decided to use the links above. Affiliate Links help bloggers like me fund the free content we provide on our blogs. Some products might be gifted from brands.