Jeans are probably the clothing item that I wear the most. But, when you ask women what clothing item is the hardest to find a good fit for, jeans will probably be the answer. So, today we are going to address what are the best jeans for women over 50.
Finding the perfect pair of jeans is hard; it’s important to consider both fit and style. Jeans that are too tight or too loose can be unflattering, so it’s important to find a fit that works for your body type.
For women over 50, a higher rise can be more flattering, as it helps to elongate the leg and create a smoother silhouette. A straight or wide-leg silhouette can also be more flattering than a skinny leg because it creates a balanced and proportionate look.
When it comes to style, there are many different options available for women over 50. Classic jeans are more timeless and universal, while trendy styles are more current, but they may go out of style more quickly.
- Straight-leg jeans in a dark wash
- Wide-leg jeans in a medium wash
- High-waisted jeans in a classic blue wash
- Boyfriend jeans in a dark wash
These styles are usually more subtle and understated and can be dressed up or down depending on the occasion.
- Skinny jeans
- Distressed Jeans
- Cropped wide-leg jeans in a light wash
- High-waisted jeans with a flared leg
- Baggy jeans with a relaxed fit
On the other hand, trendy jeans tend to be more attention-grabbing and fashion-forward. These styles tend to be bolder and statement-making and can be a fun way to add some personality to your wardrobe. Just be careful not to get too crazy with your jeans choices – no one wants to see a 50-year-old woman trying to rock a pair of acid-wash, low-rise jeans from the 90s. Trust me; it’s not a good look.
There are a few types of jeans that women over 50 should “generally” avoid. However, there are no concrete RULES that say you can’t still wear any pair of jeans you prefer. You might not end up on the cover of Vogue in a pair of skinny jeans, but the fashion police won’t come and arrest you either. I still have a few pairs of skinny jeans in my closet, but mainly just to wear with my knee boots. I’ve replaced most of them with slim straight-leg jeans instead.
- Skinny jeans: Skinny jeans can be unflattering on women over 50, as they tend to cling to the leg and can make the leg look shorter, and your body doesn’t look proportioned. Instead, opt for a straight-leg or a wide-leg silhouette, which will elongate the leg and create a more balanced and flattering look.
- Low-rise jeans: Low-rise jeans can be unflattering on anyone, but especially on women over 50, as they can cut off the leg at an unflattering point and create an awkward silhouette. #muffintop Instead, look for a higher rise that will elongate the leg and create a smoother silhouette.
- Overly distressed or faded jeans: Don’t get me wrong…I still love my distressed jeans. I am choosing to go with smaller holes and distressing. While distressed or faded jeans may be trendy for younger women, they can make you look like you’re trying too hard. A darker wash is more slimming and elongating, and although it isn’t trendy, it is always classic and chic.
- Tight or restrictive jeans: As we age, it’s important to choose comfortable clothing that doesn’t constrict movement or circulation. Avoid jeans that are too tight or restrictive, and look for styles that offer a little bit of stretch for comfort.
When shopping for jeans for a woman over 50, it’s important to consider the fit, wash, and level of distressing. Darker washes tend to be more slimming and elongating, making them a good choice for women over 50. Avoid overly distressed or faded styles, as they can make you look older. A classic wash and minimal distressing will always look timeless and age-appropriate.
And remember, it’s okay to splurge on a high-quality pair of jeans. After all, they are a wardrobe staple and can be worn for many years. Look for brands that are known for their fit, comfort, and durability, and be willing to pay a little extra for a pair that makes you feel confident and comfortable.
When it comes to styling your jeans, don’t be afraid to experiment with different tops, shoes, and accessories. A classic pair of jeans can be dressed up or down depending on the occasion, making them a versatile and essential piece in any woman’s wardrobe. For a dressed-up look, try pairing your jeans with a blouse, heels, and statement jewelry. For a more casual look, try pairing them with a t-shirt, sneakers, and a denim jacket.
In conclusion, the key to finding the most flattering jeans for a woman over 50 is to choose a fit that is comfortable and age-appropriate and to style them in a way that is both stylish and comfortable. Don’t be afraid to try on different brands and fits, and remember to accessorize to create a look that is both stylish and age-appropriate. And above all, have fun with your jeans! After all, fashion is meant to be enjoyed, not taken too seriously.
IF YOU LIKED THIS POST, YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:
- I’M OVER 50 AND WEARING WIDE-LEG JEANS
- STYLING JEANS FOR THE HOLIDAYS
- FALL JEANS THAT MAKE YOUR LEGS LOOK A MILE LONG
Whenever you SHARE my posts on PINTEREST, INSTAGRAM, YOUTUBE, AND FACEBOOK, it helps other ladies who might be style challenged to find my blog. I appreciate every one of you, and I consider you a friend.
Are You One Of The GURLS?
You will get a daily email reminder from me alerting you when a new blog post has gone live. And, occasionally, a “special” email will hit your inbox, so watch for those!
To GOD Goes The Glory!
Verse Of The Day
10 Beat your plowshares into swords and your pruning hooks into spears. Let the weakling say, “I am strong!”
50 Is Not Old partners with affiliate platforms where commission may be earned based on clicks and or purchases, and I would love it if you decided to use the links above. Affiliate Links help bloggers like me fund the free content we provide on our blogs. Some products might be gifted from brands.