I know the economy has hit a lot of people hard, and finding extra money for clothing might not be in the budget. Or, maybe you have money in the budget but are unsure how to put together an outfit. Today’s post is all about how to create an inspiration outfit, whether it is from your closet or with new clothing.
Today, I’m using Jennifer Aniston as my inspiration. I don’t try to dress like celebrities, but if I did, Jennifer is who I would try to emulate. I think her style is relaxed and casual, with a mixture of classics and trends. So, I grabbed a couple of photos of her from Pinterest, and I’m going to show you how I recreated the look from items in my closet. Do you follow me on Pinterest? You should since you can access my photos at any time – walk in your closet – and pick similar items to create your own inspiration outfit.
Inspiration Outfit #1
Oh, my word! This look is so chic and polished but so easy to create. It doesn’t have a lot of bells and whistles; instead, it is minimalistic and classic. Here is my version below.
It was raining outside, so you get entryway photos today. Lol! Every element in this inspiration outfit should already be in your closet, and if not, then these are items you need to invest in.
- A basic white button-down shirt. This No-Iron Fitted Stretch Shirt is so easy to create outfits with since it goes with everything. I love the no-iron feature and that it isn’t a boxy oversized shirt. I’m wearing a size 1, which fits great.
- Dark Wash Flare Jeans. Part of the reason Jennifer’s outfit looks so polished is that she is wearing dark wash jeans. Dark wash jeans look dressier than medium or light wash, so invest in a pair if you can. I’m wearing Midnight Flare Jeans from SPANX. I love SPANX clothing, but they can run on the expensive side and also tend to run small. I’m wearing a large, and they fit fine, but I might need to size down to a medium. If those are out of your budget, then try this pair by Wit & Wisdom. They run a close second to SPANX, and the cost is way lower. Wit & Wisdom run large, so I would size down to the next size.
- A Black Blazer. Yesterday’s blog post was about how adding a third piece (a blazer, jacket, or cardigan) can elevate your style. I think a Two Button Blazer elevates this simple outfit and takes it to the next level. I usually size up in a blazer to make sure that I can wear it over a long sleeve shirt or a sweater, so I order a size 10, and that fits me fine.
- Pointy Toe Boots. I love pointy-toe shoes and boots because they elongate your legs and make them look a mile long, especially when worn with dark-colored pants and jeans. I’m wearing a pair by Vince Camuto, which are only available in Suede at the moment. I also have this pair that is more affordable and gives the same look. The big difference between the two is the affordable pair has a brown bottom and heel.
- A Black Handbag. I have a ton of handbags, but not many of them are black. Shades of brown seem to be more what I gravitate toward, but a good black bag is an essential fashion item. This Coach Shoulder Bag is a classic bag that you can carry for years! Handbags are an item that I think you should invest in since they can last so long, but if you grow bored of carrying the same bag, then you might want to find cheaper alternatives. Here are a few Coach bags that are of the same excellent quality but about half the price.
Inspiration Outfit #2
This outfit looks like there is more going on with it, but it is still the same basic items. The sunglasses, jewelry, belt, and sweater tied around the waist makes the look busier, but all of those are optional items. I’m going to stick with creating the Inspiration Outfit and not worry as much about the accessories, but I will link to what I used.
This outfit isn’t as polished looking as the first outfit. The look is still put together like she put effort into what she was wearing, but it isn’t as dressy. Here is what I used to create my version of Jennifer’s look.
- A Basic White Tee. Everyone needs a good white tee, and for me, that means a v-neck. I like my neck to look long because that helps me to appear thinner. J.Jill has an amazing V-Neck Tee, and I find myself reaching for it first every time. A more affordable tee is these from Time and Tru. If you find you need to replace your white tees often, then a more affordable option might work best.
- Skinny Jeans – I don’t wear skinny jeans as often as before, but I do still have some in my closet. They work great for tucking inside knee boots, so don’t throw them out just yet. Especially since I’ve been reading that OVER THE KNEE boots are trending this fall. I’m wearing a pair of AG Skinny Jeans that I’ve had for a while. I probably wouldn’t invest that much in skinny jeans right now and would opt for this pair by Kut From The Kloth or Wit & Wisdom instead.
- Navy Double-Breasted Blazer – I LOVE a double-breasted blazer, and I think it really makes an outfit look polished, even if the outfit is casual. This blazer is an old one from Express, but here is a splurge one from White House Black Market, and this one by Express is on sale for a great price.
- Black Belt – I like a belt that has more opportunity for sizing instead of four or five notches. So, this leather belt I’m wearing works great since I can decide how big or small it is by which hole I use to fasten it. I ordered the M/L for more options.
- Neutral Wedge Sandals – I’ve worn these Open Toe Wedge Sandals out this summer. It seems like they’ve been on constant rotation in my wardrobe, and that is because they are comfortable, stylish, and a neutral color. They run TTS, but I noticed they are starting to get limited in sizes.
- Ray Ban Sunglasses – Sunglasses are another accessory that I will splurge on. I want to make sure my eyes are well protected, and I have a “thing” about sunglasses. I might own a few too many pairs. However, when I’m traveling, I usually take along a few cheaper pairs to take to the beach or the pool. I don’t want to lose my good glasses or get them scratched with the sand. I’m wearing a pair of RayBans in the photos, and this is a classic design.
- Wooden Cross Necklace – Jennifer had on a long dangly necklace, so I added a Wooden Cross Necklace from Brighton that I’ve had for several years. I always get compliments on it; it is unique and stunning.
If you’ve enjoyed this Inspiration Outfit post and would like to see similar posts in the future, be sure to leave a comment. Also, I did a YouTube video that showed TWO more outfits, but I didn’t have time to post those today. You can watch the video, which has links to the YouTube video in the description. To see the links, you have to hit the SEE MORE or the V that is on the YouTube video.
I hope you liked today’s post. If so, PLEASE remember to pin my post on Pinterest.
Whenever you SHARE my posts on PINTEREST, INSTAGRAM, YOUTUBE, AND FACEBOOK, it helps other ladies who might be style challenged to find my blog. I appreciate every one of you, and I consider you a friend.
Are You One Of The GURLS?
You will get a daily email reminder from me alerting you when a new blog post has gone live. And, occasionally, a “special” email will hit your inbox, so watch for those!
To GOD Goes The Glory!
Verse Of The Day
1 Corinthians 16:13
13 Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be courageous; be strong.
50 Is Not Old partners with affiliate platforms where commission may be earned based on clicks and or purchases, and I would love it if you decided to use the links above. Affiliate Links help bloggers like me fund the free content we provide on our blogs. Some products might be gifted from brands.